2.15.2011

Spoiled Much?

I take my freedom and independence for granted. Not as an American (although probably that too) but as a functional adult member of society.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN ATHENS, GREECE
Image via Flickr by Andra Motta

Today I had to ride the bus.

Now for those of you who don't live in the South, this may not sound like a big deal - but trust me - it is! This is the first time in my life (32+ years) that I've ridden the public transportation in Fort Worth. I must say, I was humbled and surprised. It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. It wasn't dirty or smelly or dangerous. It was bordering on enjoyable. (at least on the way to work)

I realized that, although it took me over an hour to get to work (and over an hour and a half to get home) public transportation isn't really so much about giving up independence - it's about living within your circumstances. What a great reminder of this life lesson & now I get a chance to listen to my podcasts :)


By the way - the car has pretty much bitten the dust (hence the public transportation) but fingers crossed that I'll be able to band-aid it for a few weeks until I can procure something else!

No comments: