7.18.2009

It's hard to apologize when I don't think I'm wrong

If I don't think I'm wrong then why should I apologize and WHAT should I apologize for? Now, I'm usually the first one to apologize in any given situation EVEN if I don't think I've done something wrong because I don't like extended times of conflict. I'm very much - lets get it out there, talk about it, and move on. If I can tell that something I've done or said hurt someone or that they viewed it as a "dig" then I definitely will be the first to apologize.



I guess I've mastered a way though to apologize for how you feel versus my actions (if I don't feel they were wrong). Because if I really thought I was in the right and no *new* information has surfaced to make me believe otherwise, I have no reason to be sorry for my actions. I can be sorry though that they caused someone pain or discomfort but then again - that is THEIR reaction.



The most important thing I've learned over the course of my life when dealing with this kind of thing is that people just want to hear that you care and that you empathize with what they are going through and sometimes the most "universal" way to get that message across is with an apology.

No comments: