10.08.2013

First you're up, then you're down, then you're up again...

Last week, I was laid off from my job. I mean really LAID OFF! From my job. At a University. In a non-grant-funded position. 

L A I D  O F F

I've worked for a couple of universities, I've even worked in one of those grant-funded positions that make you crap your pants in anticipation every time they re-apply / re-up the grant (or worse yet, when the government threatens to shuts down) but in all those years, I always had a job


Until September 30th.

My co-workers and I knew something was happening when the president of our board called a meeting Monday afternoon, but it wasn't even close to what we thought. I should probably mention that tension has run high in my office because our boss was on her way out (not really by her choice) and we all *knew* it without *knowing* it. So 6 happy-go-lucky chumps walk into a meeting with members of our board and a couple of HR folks still thinking we were going to get an official statement about out boss. (Which did happen, as an afterthought.)

We were even more surprised than this!
Have you ever been in a meeting that you thought was going one way and you came out on the other end without a job? Yeah... it's like having the carpet pulled from under your feet (or at least what I imagine that would feel like). 

Have you ever found out that your current job situation was illegal? Again... SURPRISE! 

I should clarify - our jobs weren't illegal (this isn't Breaking Bad) but the whole administrative back end of our jobs became illegal because someone somewhere laundered some money or received a kickback or did something equally as heinous.

I should also mention - I've NEVER been without a job, or at least a plan for a job. EVER. 

Confusion. Day drinking. Tears. Fear. Tension. Stress. Anger. 

I felt all of these emotions. Sometimes within minutes of each other, wondering what I was going to do. Hell, I even contemplated moving in with my parents!!

Luckily, the organization I was working for illegally - legalized and offered us all our jobs back within days. Exciting, right?! Absolutely. Until I realized that I'm starting a new job. 

New Insurance. 
New PTO. 
New Benefits. 
New Paperwork. 
No Longevity... 
Oh & it wasn't my choice.

Don't get me wrong - I'm EXTREMELY grateful to have a job. MY JOB. (I LOVE my job). I'm just ready for the wind to die down and let me catch my breath. 






No comments: