1.21.2010

I miss my youth

I miss being a kid. When I was a kid, I wished I could be a grown up and get to do exciting and fun stuff. I hated that I had to go to bed early and couldn't watch certain TV shows or movies but I loved getting to go outside and play or ride my bike and just hang out with my friends. I miss not having to worry about bills, cooking, cleaning, driving, responsibility, and working. I guess instead of missing my youth, I really just miss the feeling of no responsibility. Yes, the expectations my parents had on me to make good grades and good decisions were stressful but they weren't my focus.

As an adult your focus becomes being a productive member of society, being honest, and taking care of yourself. There are many more people depending on me now - and I don't even have kids or a family. Instead, I'm a role model for my nieces and nephews and other friends' children. I'm a success (or embarrassment as the case may be) to my parents, friends and extended family.

The older I get, the truer the statement "Youth is wasted on the young" becomes. The sad thing is - I'm not that old...

No comments: