9.01.2008

Reflections - another year passed

Only days remain in my 29th year here and I struggle to make peace with the milestone before me, although I think I've got it... "You are supposed to be where you are." I was told this in a "solve the problems of the world" conversation over margaritas (which is the birthplace of all solid problem solving conversations) earlier today. I wonder if this person was saying this because they too are reflecting on their life and situation or if imparting some wisdom was the true goal.

"Throw the plan out the window," I am told, "you have to live in the moment." That's right you know. I know that life is about the journey - not the destination. I don't want to look back in another 10 years and realize that I didn't have any fun, but don't you have to be going somewhere? Don't you have to have direction? Is life really all about the here and now? No regrets - that is how I want to live my life BUT I also don't want to get so caught up in living that I miss the forest for the trees.

I often wonder, am I traveling down this road because I chose it, because I thought it is what I should accomplish, because it was part of my "master plan", or because of sheer dumb luck? I'd like to think I had more control over my destiny, but the more I reflect on making life less complicated, I realize much of my life has been being in the right place at the right time. I know I'm good with the person I am on the inside today.


I have no regrets so far.

Here's hoping I can keep it that way for another year! Cheers!

No comments: